It is a Brachyura crustacean. It is differentiated from the spider crabs because they are wider than their length, with their first legs being pincers, very big and strong and with a flat shell and hairy legs.
It can reach 20 cm wide and weigh up to 5 kg.
It lives in depths between 1 and 30 metres, in sand and rocky beds.
They are caught in the same waters as Spider crabs and further north in the Atlantic.
We can buy them alive, cooked, frozen or canned. They are cooked the same way as a spider crab, and they can be mixed in certain preparations.
- Aromatic herbs
- Big game hunt
- Bread and pastries
- Canned goods and pickles
- Condiments, spices and additives
- Cooked, salted, preserved and cold meats
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Dry pulses
- Edible oils and vinegars
- Eggs and derivatives
- Feathered game hunt
- Fish cuts
- Kitchen and bakery tecniques
- Kitchen and bakery utensils
- Meat cuts
- Milk, cream and derivatives
- Pasta, rice, flour and derivatives
- Service techniques
- Service utensils
- Vegetables cuts
- Vegetables, fruits, tubers and seaweed